Saturday, June 2, 2007
The Staircase
I recall when I was still a kid, my favorite place in the house, aside from the living room where the television set was in place, was the staircase. Strange isn't it? For me the staircase in our house way back in my childhood days was my playground. It is a place where my childhood fantasies were created. It is also where I learned to slide myself down on the staircase panel with joy and excitement that makes me happy. The staircase, especially sliding down myself on it taught me to be adventurous. The staircase is a place where I play my toys and if I'm not playing, I always see myself sitting on one of the steps with my two hands holding the steel bars as I watched my mom cooks food for us or when visitors come to our house way back then.
Sadly though, we live now in a bongalow house in San Pedro,Laguna but everytime I visit our old home in Ilocos Sur or have a chance to visit a friend who lives in an up and down house, I always find myself comfortable sitting on one of the steps of the staircase.
Here in Letran Calamba where our office is on the second floor, everytime I need to rest I just simply sit on one of the steps of our staircase seeing below our student volunteers in the Campus Ministry mingle, singing religious songs, studying their lessons or reviweing their immenent quizzes to be given by their so called "terror professors".
One student noticed this strange posture of mine and he asked, "Sir, why are you sitting on the stairs?" I replied with humor, "I feel like a child again everytime I sit on the stairs."
In our frenzied hurly-burly of our life as single professionals, its nice to stop and sit on a stair once in a while and to be a child at heart. Its is our connection to the One who is above us. Then you will see the difference.
- Dan
"Then he had a dream: a stairway rested on the ground, with its top reaching to the heavens; and God's messangers were going up and down on it. And there was the Lord standing beside him..." (Gen 28:12-13)
Sadly though, we live now in a bongalow house in San Pedro,Laguna but everytime I visit our old home in Ilocos Sur or have a chance to visit a friend who lives in an up and down house, I always find myself comfortable sitting on one of the steps of the staircase.
Here in Letran Calamba where our office is on the second floor, everytime I need to rest I just simply sit on one of the steps of our staircase seeing below our student volunteers in the Campus Ministry mingle, singing religious songs, studying their lessons or reviweing their immenent quizzes to be given by their so called "terror professors".
One student noticed this strange posture of mine and he asked, "Sir, why are you sitting on the stairs?" I replied with humor, "I feel like a child again everytime I sit on the stairs."
In our frenzied hurly-burly of our life as single professionals, its nice to stop and sit on a stair once in a while and to be a child at heart. Its is our connection to the One who is above us. Then you will see the difference.
- Dan
"Then he had a dream: a stairway rested on the ground, with its top reaching to the heavens; and God's messangers were going up and down on it. And there was the Lord standing beside him..." (Gen 28:12-13)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment